Saturday, May 24, 2014

76%

In my last three attempts, I missed 21 questions.  Going through those 21 questions, I scored 76%, not quite passing.

In detail, I scored:
100% in printers
100% in operational procedures
73% in PC hardware
71% in networking

Networking and PC hardware have  been among the lowest scoring areas on every version of the test I've taken.  I know that much of it has to do with just not memorizing things like which port a particular protocol uses.  Or how many pins a particular type of interface has.  These are things I don't think I necessarily need to know.  I long ago stopped depending on memorization because I don't have a very  good memory for it and because in previous work, depending on memory was only good for ensuring mistakes would be made.  Even when I knew what oil filter fit a Ford V-8, I always double checked, both for the customer's and for my piece of mind.  (It was a Fram PH8A, by the way.)  Eventually Ford engineered things differently and there was another part number.  It was good that I kept looking up the proper part number or customers would have started getting the wrong part from me.

For the purposes of this test, I'll work on memorizing what I need to, then I'll forget it again and look it up when I need to.  I'm off to try to memorize some things.  We'll see how it goes after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment